Quick Search




Property Type

About Scanlon Auctioneers

Eamon Scanlon commenced Auctioneering in 1987. Following increasing demand Eamon opened the first Estate Agents in Ballymote in 1990 with the office located at The Rock, Lord Edward Street, Ballymote.

Ballymote lies on Regional Road R293, R295 and R296 and is conveniently located a mere twenty-five miles from Knock International Airport and twelve miles from Sligo City. Keash Hill shadows Ballymote on the East, Benbulben and Knocknarea stand tall on the North. Lough Arrow, Ballinscarrow and Feenagh Lake are the Anglers paradise with the Nine-hole Golf Course a joy to play on.

Ballymote is a prosperous market town with an extensive range of supermarkets, shops, restaurants and pubs to suit all. The town also has two major banks, together with a Post Office and Credit Union. Nestled in the grounds of the castle is Ballymote Community Nursing Home and Cuan Íosa, Community Housing Accommodation for the Elderly.

Ballymote (Baile an Mhota (Town around the Moate)) is a Town that is steeped in history. Its castle ruins, which was built by of Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster (Red Earl), stands surrounded by the beautiful town park with its monuments to Brother Walfred Kearns, founder of Celtic Football Club and Brigadier General Michael Corcoran, a hero of the American Civil War both natives of Ballymote.

Adjacent to the Town park is the train station opened in 1862, today it has eigth daily services direct to Dublin Connolly and to Sligo. Bus Eireann also have a daily bus service through the town.

The Church of the Immaculate Conecption Ballymote was built in 1848 and is bulit in a neo-gothlic style on ground which was donated from Richard Gore-Booth owner of the Town at that time.

Ballymote Church of Ireland which is in Emlagh Parish is located at the top of The Rock.

Earlsfield House which was owned by the Gore-Booths until 1909 when it was purchased by Canon Coninton PP of Ballymote to be used as a parish residence, however it was to far from the Parish Church so Canon Conington gave it to the Sister of Mercy who are still in residence.

The Book of Ballymote was written in or about the year 1390 for Tonnaltage McDonagh, who was then in occoupation of Ballymote Castle. The first page of the book contains a drawing of Noah's Ark.

Ballymote Golf Course was founded in 1930 and over the years has had different homes, however it is now located at Ballinscarrow just one and a half miles from Ballymote Town. This nine hole course is certainly a treat with spectacular views of the surrounding countryside and Ballinscarrow Lake.

The Parish of Ballymote has two modern, state of the art National Schools, one located in the Town centre and the other in the half parish of Doo. Post Primary education is also available in the town with Corran College and Coláiste Mhuire both of which facilitate a large variety of subjects and activities for the budding Einstein.

Steeped in a long tradtion of sports, Ballymote offers Brother Walfred Memorial Park, Ballymote Community Park (GAA) and the Handball Alley. Indoor sport venues facilate boxing, badminton, indoor football, snooker, basketball and youth club activities.

Ballymote has a strong sense of community and its residents are honest, hard working and forthrite.